Wednesday, February 24, 2021

New Year, New Language

Is anyone else like me and already need a refresh on your New Years goals? (I don't really do resolutions).  One of my biggest goals this year was to remove lack language from my vocabulary.

What is lack language? It's those tiny but insidious phrases that sneak their way past our brains through our lips and bind deficiency to our lives.  Simple phrases like: "There aren't enough hours in the day," or "I didn't sleep enough last night," or "I need more time, sleep, energy, friends, caffeine, etc." or "if I only had xyz I could finally do the thing I want or the thing you're asking of me".  In small quantities these phrases seem innocuous but in large enough doses the effect is quick and deadly.  I can see it in my own life.  Places where I constantly confess the lack I experience never get better, the insufficiency only seems to grow.  And in a year where I have a toddler and a newborn, it is easier than ever to speak, and believe, the lack but also deadly than ever to do so.

Maybe you deal with that feeling of scarcity better than I do.  But I usually respond to it by grabbing on for dear life to anything that I think could quell the shrinking of what I perceive to be my limited supply of that need, be it sleep, energy, time, what have you. So this year I'm trying something new.  I'm calling it the tongue of trust.  Instead of confessing what I lack, I'm trying to speak what I have in the Lord.  And lucky for me, there's a plethora of Scriptures available for just such occasions.  Here are just a few that speak to me when I'm feeling drained, in short supply, weary, powerless, or otherwise lacking.

His divine power has granted to us EVERYTHING pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. - 2 Peter 1:3 (emphasis added)

Not that I am speaking from being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.  I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. -Philippians 4:11, 13

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:19

The young lions suffer want and hunger, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing. - Psalm 34"10

For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things. - Psalm 107:9

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. - 2 Corinthians 9:8

~

So today I'm going to try to get back into my goal and choose to speak life.  Because I may not have everything I want (like 8 hours of sleep, can you see a theme here?), but by the grace of God, I have all that I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment